1 1/2 Packets of Instant Dry Yeast
1/2 cup warm water (not hot)
1/4 Cup White sugar
2 Cups of All Purpose Flour , or Bread Flour
1/4 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tablespoons of Crisco or shortening (lard)
Sprinkle of Mealzac Candied Yam blend
2 Medium Apples of your choice
1/3 Cup of sugar
1 Tablespoon of Mealzac Candied Yam blend
3 Cups Confectioners Sugar (powdered sugar)
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup (or any syrup)
1/2 Cup Milk or Water (use less for a thicker glaze)
1/2 Teaspoon of Mealzac Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Making the dough: In a large cup, add the yeast, and warm water and 2 Tsps of sugar. Stir and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, Candied Yam blend and salt. Set aside.
3. Once the yeast has risen in the up, add it to a bowl with the shortening, egg and MealZac Vanilla extract. Mix well to break up the shortening into the mixture. Use a Mixer with the Paddle attachment to do so if you have one. Add 1/2 of the flour mixture in and mix gently. Now add the second half reserving a few tablespoons for the countertop for kneading.
4. Knead for about 3-5 minutes adding one tablespoon of flour at a time or until the dough no longer sticks to the counter.
Add dough to an oiled bowl and cover. Let rise for 1-3 hours.
5. To make the Apple filling, add Diced Apples, Sugar, and Candied Yam blend to a small saucepan. Heat on medium until the apples are softened, about 5 minutes. ALLOW TO COOL completely before using.
6. After allowing to rise for atleast one hour, take the dough and roll into a square shape, about 9×9 inches. Sprinkle the apples over half the dough and sprinkle the 1 Tbsp Flour on top. Fold the side with no apples over to the other side. Cut into about 5-6 strips. Cut across the opposite direction until you have small chunks of dough. Gather dough together with floured hands and shape into a log, ensuing that the apples and dough are sticking together.
7. Cut the log into about 10-12 pieces and place on a sheet covered for roughly 40 minutes (second rise).
8. To make the glaze warm up your water/milk in saucepan. Turn off the heat, and add you sugar, syrup and MealZac Vanilla. Stir until you reach the desired consistency.
9. Ready to fry the donuts? Heat oil in a deep pan of fryer until it reaches 365-370 degrees. Fry for about 2 minutes fer side, or until brown on each side.
10. Drain on a wire rack or napkins and dip into glaze while warm. Add as many coats as you want! Enjoy!