2 Cups of Prunes
1/2 Cup Mixed Peel or Citron/ Candied peel of citrus fruits.
1/2 Cup Glace/candied Cherries
1/2 cup Raisins/currants (optional)
1 Cup Rum OR Whisky
1 1/2 Cup FRUITY Red Wine OR Sherry Brandy
1/2 Pound Cake Flour
1 Cup Shortening
1/2 Pound Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Molasses
2 TBS BROWNING/ BURNT SUGAR (Optional)
1 TBS MealZac Candied Yams/Pie Blend
1 TSP Mixed Essence/ Rose Extract
1/2 TSP Cloves
1/4 TSP baking soda
1/2 Tsp salt
1 TBS Vanilla Extract
1 TBS Cocoa Powder OR 2 pieces of Melted Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 300 DEGREES.
2. MIX fruit with Rum and 1 Cup of red wine. Allow to soak for atleast one day and blend/ mash to create a chunky paste.
3. Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy about 5 minutes, with mixer at medium speed.
4. Add eggs, one at a time until thoroughly mixed. Add 1/2 cup molasses. Add more tablespoons later to adjust color.
5. Mix all remaining dry ingredients and sift 3 TIMES (spices, cake flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder)
6. Add about 1 3/4 – 2 Cups of the fruit mixture. More or less. Some people like extra fruit. You will have some leftover fruits.
6a. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Alternate with 1 cup of red wine, only adding enough to moisten the cake. Add a few drops of browning to increase the dark color. You can save some chopped fruit and nuts for the top of the cake.
7. After mixing thoroughly, add cake to greased and lined baking pans (you can fill them up) . Makes about 2-3 8 inch cakes. The deeper the pan the better!
8. Place trays of water beneath the cake to allow them to steam in oven.
9. Bake for roughly 2- 2/12 hours at 300 degrees. Toothpick inserted should be clean. Cracks in the top of the cake are normal.
10. Run a knife around the edges of the cake. Peel wrapping off cake while warm, and pour wine all over the cake (ALOT OF IT).
11. Allow to soak for a few more days , adding alcohol ever other day or enjoy immediately !